Rascafría, Oteruelo

Nuestra Señora de la Paz Church - Oteruelo del Valle

Located at the Oteruelo village stands an 18th century church very deteriorated after the Spanish Civil War and restored in 1944 by Rodolfo García Pablos.

Its architectonical interest is related to the 18th century well preserved two bodied bell gable.

At the inner it lodges a 16th century interesting embossing of the Holy Burial (El Santo Entierro) by Luis de Villoldo, and a 17th century Immaculate.

San Andrés Apóstol Parish Church - Rascafría

Located at the Rascafría village center, the Parish Church forms a beautiful ensemble combining different styles, from the late Gothic and the Renaissance till the Baroque decorative elements.

The church is from the 15th century, although it has suffered important modifications: repairs in the 17th and 18th centuries, rebuilding and restoring processes in 1952. The construction presents three naves and a flat head with balls decoration and buttresses reinforced at the edges. The square ground plan tower has two bodies. The slate spire crowning it comes from the 1952 restoration process. The Church lodges relevant sculptures and several paintings coming from El Paular Monastery which were moved after the Disentailment, and preserved by the Rascafría village since then.

La Casona - Rascafría

It was built on a property of the Trastámara Royal House. Nowadays it has just been preserved from the original the main façade with the porch and the property entrance gate. It is from the 14th century.

El Paular Paper Mill - Rascafría

El Paular Carthusian Monastery was founded in 1390 by the King Juan I. Later on the King Juan II granted to the Monastery the property related to the Lozoya River, the monopoly of the fishing activity and as well the ownership of an important paper mill.

It has been found as well a “privilege” document from the Queen Dª Juana de Castilla dated in the early 16th century where there is a reference related to the mill, and since the mid 16th century in numerous printers contracts it is specified that the used paper has to come from that mill considering its quality and price.

However this important paper mill becomes of especial relevance considering that the first edition of Don Quixote (El Quijote) was printed on the paper issued from its vats.

Road House (Casa de Postas) - Rascafría

Casa de Postas Known as La Casa Vasca (the Basque House) and dated in 1726, it has not been possible to confirm its usage as a Road House; however it is well known the existence of a Council Tavern which was rented through an auction process, and granting to the tenant the hosting monopoly at the village.

El Perdón Bridge - Rascafría

It is located in front of El Paular Monastery, on the Lozoya River. It is Renaissance style and completely granite ashlars built with three round arches. It had been originally raised in the 15th century and rebuilt afterwards in the 18th century. According with the legend it was the spot where the convict, in his way to the Gallows House, could appeal the sentence for the last time (“El Perdón” means “The Forgiveness”).

La Reina Bridge - Rascafría

It is a small bridge with just one span crossing the Santa María Stream. It is from the 18th century and connects El Paular Monastery with the old House of La Madera. The large granite slabs which form the pavement and as well the impressive balls decoration of the parapet four edges, are quite remarkable.

The Zabala Refuge - Rascafría

It is a mountain refuge inaugurated in 1927, located close to the Peñalara Great Lagoon. It is a small refuge granite rock and concrete built, raised due to a popular initiative in honor of one of the first Spanish mountaineers: José Fernández Zabala. Nowadays, half of the refuge is occupied by a station devoted to scientific researches, and the other half still handles its extreme cases refuge and shelter functions.

The Mora Cave

It is located on the Cocinillas Stream, at the foot of the same name peak and looks as a picturesque spot.

Lodges

The General Direction of the Ministry of Agriculture undertook a restoring process for useless constructions; especially for the ones located in privileged sites, as it is the case of numerous old road menders houses, in order to be adapted as lodges or nature lecture halls; that is the case of El Palancar Youth Refuge, located climbing La Morcuera Pass, and La Morcuera Pass Youth Refuge located at the proper pass at 1.793 m of altitude.  Under that program is also allocated the brand new built Los Batanes Youth Lodge, situated at the same name property.

El Cossío Fountain - Puerto de la Morcuera

It is located next to La Morcuera Lodge on top of the pass. It was inaugurated in 1932 honoring the illustrious pedagogue Manuel Bartolomé Cossío. It has been restored in 1986.

Real Sitio de San Ildefonso – La Granja

Ensemble Historic-Artistic

It was declared Ensemble Historic-Artistic by the Decree 3943/1982 on December 15 1982 (BOE January 26 1983). It is located between the Rivers Eresma and Cambrones and the steep slopes leading to the mountains. It is a scenic enclave with a very high landscape values due to its monumental heritage richness and as well its forest and cattle resources.

In addition to the San Ildefonso Palace, the Riofrío Palace (please see Great Core Heritages) and La Granja Crystal Royal Factory (please see Museums), there are other relevant buildings in El Real Sitio de San Ildefonso:

The Royal Stables (Las Caballerizas Reales)

It is a functional building, from the epoch of Felipe V, dedicated to the horses lodging and dealing. It was built in the mid 18th century by the Count of Montijo initiative. It presents a rectangular ground plan with an interior courtyard, three floors and two towers with remarkable slate capitals. We should emphasize as well above the main entrance the great Royal Coat plaster made by Santiago Bousseau.

The Royal Guards Quarter (Cuartel de Guardias de Corps)

It was built in the reign of Carlos III in the mid 18th century with the aim of lodging the elite military force known as “Guardias de Corps”. Nowadays the building is completely renovated and hosts the Congress and Conventions Center managed by Paradores de Turismo de España.

The Crafts Houses (Casas de Oficios)

It was the building dedicated to lodge the court service staff, and it is located adjoining the Royal Palace by the Infant Arch. It is a rectangular ground plan building with three interior courtyards.

The Canons House (Casa Canónigos)

It was the building dedicated originally to lodge the ecclesiastic personnel servicing the Royal Collegiate Church. It was built in the reign of Felipe V.

The Baüer House (Casa Baüer)

Casa BauerLocated in the town center, this mansion started to be built in the third quarter of the 18th century by Diaz Gamones. It was used to lodge the Gentiles Hombres de Cámara. It has been a Royal Patrimony until the mid 19th century when it became a property of D. Ignacio Baüer, the origin of its actual name. It has a rectangular ground plan, and two or three floors, depending on the different heights of the streets of access. It has as well an awesome and remarkable garden. It has been declared Good of Cultural Interest in 1995 (Bien de Interés Cultural-BIC)..

The Infants House (Casa de Infantes)

It was built in the late 18th century at the request of Carlos III to lodge his sons D. Gabriel and D. Antonio and their respective families. The project was directed by Díaz Gamones. It is a Baroque classicist Palace, which presents a rectangular ground plan and three floors. Nowadays it is completely renovated and lodges La Granja Parador de Turismo.

The Queen and Segovia Doors (Puertas de La Reina y de Segovia)

Both were raised in the second half of the 18th century. The first one gives access to the low part of the old town and was granite and grille built with a triumphal arch like design. The second one is the main access to the Royal Site and shows a remarkable forge work made by Silvestre Poderós.

The Valsaín Royal Palace (Palacio Real de Valsaín)

Palacio Real Nowadays it is in ruins; its origins come from the 12th century in the reign of Enrique III, although its definitive development was in the reign of Felipe II. Due to a devastating fire in the late 17th century, only remain the Noon Tower (Torre del Mediodía), part of the West Portico (Pórtico de Poniente), part of the walls of the East Apartment (Cuarto de Levante), the Prince Felipe Apartment (Cuarto del Príncipe Don Felipe) and the New Tower (Torre Nueva) outers. It has been declared Good of Cultural Interest in 1931 (Bien de Interés Cultural-BIC)..

Santiuste de Pedraza

Nuestra Señora de Las Vegas Church

Iglesia Santiuste It is one of the most beautiful churches of the Sierra, devoted to the Pedraza region patroness Saint. It is late Romanesque style from the 11th century and was built at the spot where a Paleo-Christian mausoleum according to the last excavations made laid. It has a basilica type ground plan, with three naves wooden covered and separated by pillars with adjoining columns, and communicated by double round side arches. It presents as well a very simple square ground plan tower, masonry and ashlars built, with round arches double windows. At the walls might be admired several Renaissance paintings from the 16th century, and a 13th century Gothic image of La Virgen de Las Vegas. It was declared Good of Cultural Interest in 1997 (Bien de Interés Cultural-BIC).

San Justo and San Pastor Church

It is also known as “The Burned Church” due to the devastating fire it suffered in the first quarter of the 20th century. It is located in a privileged landscape enclave. Only the apse with a part of the vault and the tower are preserved.

Other heritage elements

It is also possible to admire at the village, old cattle crushes, forges, the Virgen del Pradillo Monument and many other cultural heritage elements.

Santo Domingo de Pirón

Santo Domingo Church

Iglesia Santo DomingoLocated at the village edge, it was built between the 12th and the 13th centuries. It presents a single rectangular nave with several sections, a Romanesque semicircular head with cantilevers at its cornice and it is covered by a pointed barrel vault. It shows an original bell gable with two spans decorated with stone dogs which supported the setting of a balcony to give access to the bells. At the inner the major altarpiece made by José Ferreras in the second half of the 17th century, and a silver processional cross from the same period are quite remarkable. It has been declared Good of Cultural Interest in1995 (Bien de Interés Cultural – BIC).

The Alfaro Shearing

It is located at the foot of the Sierra de Guadarrama, in the way of the Malangosto Pass. It was one of the most important shearing constructions of the province of Segovia. Nowadays it is in ruins. It was a facility dedicated to lodge a large number of flocks and shearers, and as well to wash the wool in several existing pools. Its name is due to its construction developer José Alfaro, the King Fernando VI Secretary, in the mid 18th century.

Other heritage elements

It is also possible to admire at the village, an old stone mill, a restored cattle crush and a forge.

Segovia

Segovia is a UNESCO World Heritage Site since 1985. It is located within the National Park Socioeconomic Influence Area and hosts a magnificent and formidable historic-cultural heritage. For more information please contact the Patronato de Turismo de Segovia.

Soto del Real

La Inmaculada Concepción Parish Church - Soto del Real

It is accessible through a medieval bridge. The construction origin seems to be previous to the 16th century, when the old church is substituted by a new one, preserving only the tower. The walls are masonry built at the naves and tower, and ashlars at the head with rubblework reinforcements at the edges and external buttresses. The naves are from a posterior construction, probably from the 18th century. The square ground plan tower shows two bodies clearly defined, having the upper one a slightly smaller ground plan. The Baroque major altarpiece is from 1749, walnut wooden made without polychrome and golden decorations. Its engraving is a high quality art work.

Medieval Bridge - Soto del Real

It is situated at the village center and saves the Chozas Stream, giving access to the Church. It is granite masonry built and has just one span with a slightly pointed arch.

Los Once Ojos Bridge - Soto del Real

It is one of the large viaducts which were built to resolve the Sierra de Guadarrama passage. It presents eleven round arches spans built with concrete vaults, and a polygonal masonry trimming platform, the characteristic stone work of the zone.

Nuestra Señora del Rosario Chapel

Ermita del RosarioIt was built in 1954 and financed by the Bishop Morcillo, native of the village. It was granite built between natural screes used as part of the chapel walls.

Information cookies

Cookies are short reports that are sent and stored on the hard drive of the user's computer through your browser when it connects to a web. Cookies can be used to collect and store user data while connected to provide you the requested services and sometimes tend not to keep. Cookies can be themselves or others.

There are several types of cookies:

  • Technical cookies that facilitate user navigation and use of the various options or services offered by the web as identify the session, allow access to certain areas, facilitate orders, purchases, filling out forms, registration, security, facilitating functionalities (videos, social networks, etc..).
  • Customization cookies that allow users to access services according to their preferences (language, browser, configuration, etc..).
  • Analytical cookies which allow anonymous analysis of the behavior of web users and allow to measure user activity and develop navigation profiles in order to improve the websites.

So when you access our website, in compliance with Article 22 of Law 34/2002 of the Information Society Services, in the analytical cookies treatment, we have requested your consent to their use. All of this is to improve our services. We use Google Analytics to collect anonymous statistical information such as the number of visitors to our site. Cookies added by Google Analytics are governed by the privacy policies of Google Analytics. If you want you can disable cookies from Google Analytics.

However, please note that you can enable or disable cookies by following the instructions of your browser.