La Natividad de Nuestra Señora Parish Church - Navacerrada
It is located at the top of a hill at the north side of the old town. It is a16th century construction, masonry made in its principal body and ashlars at the tower, suffering important repairs in the 18th century mainly at the covers. In the 20th century some repairs were undertaken transforming nearly completely the inner.
The rectangular ground plan tower is formed by three overlapping bodies separated by imposts. The bell hollows are round, opening two of them on the west front and one on the remaining ones. At the inner it is remarkable the wooden Baroque vault covering the nave and the chancel, and supported by Tuscan columns. The 16th century granite baptismal font has balls decorations at the shaft upper part.
Fonda Real (Royal Relay) - Navacerrada
During the 17th century Navacerrada has been quite well communicated with the environment. There was the Manzanares Royal Path connecting the way that leaded to San Ildefonso and Segovia through Los Molinos and La Fuenfría Pass; this was the used itinerary until the Navacerrada Path was built in 1788. On that road, in the grounds called “El Valdío” and bought by Felipe V in 1718, was raised a tavern at the same place we have actually the “Fonda Real”, relay where mules were changed and even was hosted Felipe V. In that road house the Kings used to stop in their way to La Granja. It counted with “200 mangers, a good mule’s wharf and a covered shelter for twelve carriages with a large patio; rooms for hosts, a common room, a large kitchen, a pantry and a dining room”. The building construction originated a litigation involving Cercedilla and Navacerrada, because both villages wanted part of the works, deciding finally the King in favor of Navacerrada.
La Nevería Industry - La Barranca Valley
In the 19th century was installed in La Barranca valley the industry of “La Nevería”. In 1864 tells Casiano del Prado that in the Guarramillas zone snowdrifts the snow fallen during the winter was covered in March with leaves and dung to preserve it as ice blocks, later on transported to Madrid in ox carts to manufacture and conserve sodas. In 1861 that ice was sold at a price of “20 reales the arroba” (5 pesetas for 11,5 kg). Before the Navacerrada road construction the main used snowdrifts were El Ratón and El Algodón, but later with the new road open, a carriage path is built. This path “climbed zigzagging through the first Guarramilla slope in front of the Navacerrada Pass, and leaded to La Bola del Mundo”. This path called “Los Neveros” was later on transformed to allow the access to the TV facilities.
The reservoir construction started in 1961, ending in 1968. It has a maximum capacity of 11 cubic hectometers and regulates the Guadarrama River basin.
One of the Navacerrada signs of identity are its splendid fountains: La Canaleja Fountain whose peculiar appearance integrates it with the environment, or Los Angeles Fountain decorated with angelical designs.