Nuestra Señora de Peña Sacra Chapel - Manzanares El Real
It is located in an extended scree area called “Los Mariningos” at about 1 km from the village, on a granite bed 70 m high. Many authors date its origin in the 16th century, although there are enough elements to think it could have been built in the late 15th century. During the Spanish Civil War it was partially destroyed. It is built with granite stone from the place, the old part with ashlars and masonry and the rest with ashlars reinforcement at the edges. The most remarkable part of the building is in the original chapel covered by an awesome Gothic ribbed vault.
Nuestra Señora de las Nieves Parish Church - Manzanares El Real
It was built between the late 15th century and the mid 16th century. It is a masonry based walls construction; with the exception of the third body of the tower and part of the Sacristy which are ashlars made. The ground plan is basilica type with three naves, the tower is three bodied, the chapel is covered with a Gothic ribbed vault with tiercerons, and the portico has eight Tuscan arches and one round arch. In the central nave is the baptismal font, a magnificent 16th century piece, with a gore decoration and a flowered strip at the edge. It is placed on a pedestal with balls ornaments.
Las Ermitas Fountain - Manzanares El Real
It is located at one of the village entrances. It has been discovered a few years ago due to some excavations made at the spot, because it was buried. The ensemble might be from the 16th century, even if there are opinions for the late 15th century. The ensemble has two elements: the proper fountain and the cistern. It is a nearly cubic construction made of enormous granite stone blocs supported by a same material rustic foundation.
La Cañada Real Segoviana Bridge - Manzanares El Real
Although it is difficult to date it precisely, it might be a medieval bridge restored in 1792, according to an inscription on the parapet. Completely built on granite ashlars of unequal quality, it presents a vaulted round arch. It was a mandatory passage of the Segovia Royal Drover’s Road, used by La Mesta to move the cattle around Spain, which granted an important incomes source for the burg, due to the “portazgo” tax levy, taxing the cattle and goods passage through the bridge.
El Cura or Los Frailes Mill - Manzanares El Real
It is accessible through a dirt road in direction to the Peña Sacra Chapel. The historic references regarding the Mill are in a 1724 Tomás López plan. It seems it was the most important mill of the zone, working not only for Manzanares but as well for other villages such as Moralzarzal, Cerceda, El Boalo and Mataelpino. The ensemble has a modest structure formed by two adjoining buildings lodging the proper mill and the miller house. There are as well other complementary constructions used for the organization of the waters compilation and leverage. The mill was active until the years after the 1936 Spanish Civil War.
Cave Paintings - La Pedriza
They were discovered at the end of the 80’s decade, in a small cave, in El Cancho del Confesionario, concretely in the property called “Los Aljibes”. It is an ensemble of schematic paintings which decorate two caves close to an abandoned stone quarry. The best preserved is an ensemble of anthropomorphic figures, some of them seem to dance, and are disposed in oblique rows, together with diverse marks. They are made with a reddish brown ochre pigment.
The findings have been enhanced with ceramic samples of the Bronze Age. They could therefore be dated at the Late Bronze, between the years 1400 and 1200 BC and grants the presence of a stable settlement of individuals dedicated to agriculture, cattle and metallurgy.
The Santillana Reservoir
Since the beginning of the 19th century, the need of supplying water to Madrid from the Madrilenian Sierra different rivers is arisen. The dam was inaugurated in 1908, located down river, at the Chozas Stream and the Manzanares River confluence. It flooded an extended pastures zone close to the village. The dam has a parabolic profile at the down river facing wall and a vertical wall upriver. It is decorated with two Neo Gothic towers simulating castle architecture. In one of them there is a museum showing the graphic documents related to its construction.
Giner Refuge - La Pedriza
Baptized to honor Francisco Giner de los Ríos, this refuge was built in 1914. It is situated in the central zone of La Pedriza, from where the Peñalara cirque can be seen.